Site specific awareness is very important for operators. We spend a lot of time on this during our programs.
Where you drive your forklift impacts how you drive it.
Workplace specific safety concerns may include:
- Pedestrians – slow down, look, use your horn, yield to pedestrians
- Obstacles – in the aisle, above you, all around the working area
- Busy areas (eg loading dock)
- Narrow aisles – don’t hit those racks
- Floor conditions – potholes or wet areas lead to less stability
- Other vehicles – this can be other forklifts, tractor trailers, customer cars
- Ramps – always carry the load uphill and never turn on a ramp
There may be others at your workplace.
Always make sure you are aware of the conditions and how to handle site specific situations. If you don’t know ask your supervisor.