Safe forklift driving in winter means extra precautions for operators.
- Consider that many forklifts have slick solid tires, totally unsuitable for ice or snow.
- Beware of propane forklifts being used indoors – even if it cold do keep the bay doors open so you can breathe.
- Dress appropriately for the temperature, and drive outdoors for extended periods only if your forklift has an enclosed cab with heater.
- Warm up the engine and hydraulics before going straight to work.
- Be very careful of ice on loading docks.
- Use your forklift lights to see and be seen.
- A forklift is not a snowplough.
If you are a company needing forklift training in the Comox Valley – we are now taking bookings for January 2018.