I am always astounded at employers or operators who think you can just hop on a forklift and drive it.
Here are some basics:
- A forklift is not a car
- A forklift weighs a lot more than a car
- A forklift steers from the rear
- A forklift can kill or seriously injure a pedestrian even at a very slow speed
- The operator’s field of vision is very restricted
- Every day in North America there is some kind of accident with a forklift – tip-overs, collisions and crushing injuries are the most common
If you are an employer you must ensure your operators get proper site and equipment specific training.
If you are an employee don’t even think about using this equipment until you have been trained.