A Detroit terminal and dock company has been blamed for the death of a worker struck by a 62,000 lb capacity forklift carrying a 40,000 lb load of steel coil.
The forklift related violations cited were:
- Unapproved modification of a forklift
- No traffic rules or signs for pedestrian traffic
- Failing to train employees on operating instructions, warnings and precautions listed in the operators manual
- Failing to maintain vehicles in safe working order
- Failing to ensure employees use the horn when visibility is obstructed
OSHA notes that being struck by vehicles is a leading cause of workplace deaths.